148. _____ he began to write articles inEnglish for American newspapers.
A. Shortly after B.Long before C.Before long D.Sooner
147. He has a _____ tongue, but is usuallysorry afterwards.
A. quick B.fast C.rapid D.quickly
146. I’m _____ I can’t go there with youthe day after tomorrow.
A. glad B.ready C.angry D.afraid
145. He has been _____ the maths problem,but he hasn’t _____.
A. working at; worked out it B.working out; worked it on
C. working on; worked it out D.lend; lend
144. You can _____ this book from thelibrary and _____ for another two weeks.
A. borrow; lend B.borrow; keep C.lend; borrow D.lend; lend
143. What’s _____ with your watch?
A. the trouble B.matter C.the wrong D.mistake
142. We should be _____ careful withhandwriting and spelling.
A. much too B.too much C.very too D.so too
141. The materials _____ show that thecloth is made _____.
A. by hand; in hand B.in hand; by hand C.in hand; with hand D. byhand; at hand
140. They all lived in the village thirtymiles _____ from the city.
A. away B.far C.far away D.faraway
139. The foreigner _____ all his money.
A. was stolen of B.was robbed of C.robbed D.was stolen