85. The _____ from the forest fire could beseen miles away.
A. smell B.steam C.smoke D.sight
84. The _____ of the clock showed that itwas time for dinner.
A. hands B.fingers C.numbers D.arms
83. As he was ill, he had to _____ theparty.
A. miss B.regret C.lose D.accept
82. I do _____ I could speak French well.
A. know B.want C.wish D.hope
81. He told me he had been offered a verywell-paid _____ abroad.
A. service B.position C.business D.work
80. These trees cannot be grown in such acold _____ as ours.
A. weather B.climate C.season D.space
79. The taxi driver was badly _____ whenhis car crashed into a wall.
A. pained B.hit C.hurt D.wound
78. The room was so quiet that she couldhear the _____ of her heart.
A. hitting B.beating C.tapping D.striking
77. The _____ to the moon took theastronauts three days.
A. trip B.way C.journey D.flight
76. Father will not _____ us to use hisrecorder.
A. have B.let C.agree D.allow