45. After his journey, Gerald hoped to findan inn to _____ the night in.
A. sleep B.pass C.spare D.remain
44. The moon gives _____ no light as of itsown.
A. off B.up C.in D.away
43. He offered to _____ her a hand as thebag was too heavy for her to carry.
A. lend B.help C.show D.say
42. Children enjoy _____ up wooden bricks,then knocking them down.
A. adding B.pushing C.piling D.putting
41. I’m sorry I’m late. I never _____ thebus to take so long to get here.
A. thought B.planned C.expected D.waited for
40. A famous battle was _____ there in theyear 490 B.C.
A. held B.taken C.made D.done
39. We couldn’t drink the milk because ithad _____ bad.
A. gone B.become C.changed D.got
38. The old man sat in the armchair, _____a match and lighted a cigarette.
A. hit B.knocked C.beat D.struck
37. --- How about John?
--- My aunt _____ John a good student.
A. believe B.suggests C.considers D.knows
36. Very few scientists _____ withcompletely new answers to the world’s problems.
A. come to B.come round C.come up D.come on